Teatr Wielki (The Great Theatre - Opera)
Poznań Opera House symbolizes over 100-years history of Polish opera. The Opera House was built at the beginning of 20th. Designed by German architect Max Littmann, and inaugurated in 1910 with The Magic Flute (Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart). The façade of the building is a huge portico that was built according to the rules of classical architecture of ancient Rome. At the top of the staircase stand six massive Ionic columns with a triangular tympanum surmounted by a Pegasus statue, a symbol of the building.
The diversified repertoire of the theatre includes both the classical operas and the contemporary compositions with particular onsideration of Polish operas. A young and perfectly educated corps de ballet presents performances arranged in different styles.
Among the most valuable realizations of the last years, the following ones deserves a special mention: the world premiére of Elektra by Mikis Theodorakis, The Devils of Loudun by Krzysztof Penderecki, Boris Godunov by Modest Mussorgsky, Andrea Chénier by Umberto Giordano, The Gamblers (Igroki) by Dymitr Shostakovich and Krzysztof Meyer and Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk district by Shostakovich.Go back to list